The Polluted Holy Church - Mormon Chapter 8

learning

The Polluted Holy Church - Mormon Chapter 8

Post by learning » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:33 pm

Stating facts or belief about history and scripture is not criticism of the church. My purpose is simply to repent and leave Babylon behind. “One of the grand fundamental principles of Mormonism is to receive truth, let it come from where it may.” (Joseph Smith - 9 July 1843 (Sunday Morning), The Words of Joseph Smith)

The Polluted Holy Church Mormon Chapter 8
Moroni had just lost all that he held dear when he wrote the words in the last two chapters of Mormon (his father’s record). Moroni didn’t put the chapter break in there. The printer did. These comments should be taken as a whole. His bold confidence and deep sadness color his words. He has no idea how long he has left to live or where he will go. Mormon chapters eight and nine present some of the most stark and strident warnings in scripture. Who is he talking to?

In chapter nine Moroni addresses two specific groups, those who do not believe in Christ (Mormon 9:1) and those who deny revelations, prophecies, gifts, healings, speaking with tongues, and the interpretation of tongues (Mormon 9:7). Any mainstream Latter Day Saint might fall into either of these categories. We know this because he explains how to identify the believers. “And these signs shall follow them that believe—in my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover;” (Mormon 9:24) The continuing miracles are evidence of belief. God is unchanging. Either they are happening to the believers or we dwindle in unbelief. (Mormon 9:16-20)

Mormon chapter eight is directed squarely at the reader. I think it’s safe to say that there are very few other than the Latter Day Saints who read the Book of Mormon. Moroni’s words are not idle comments and prophecies for those who would not read the book. He reveals that he has seen our day and that we walk in pride and arrogance. “Behold, the Lord hath shown unto me great and marvelous things concerning that which must shortly come, at that day when these things shall come forth among you. Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing.” (Mormon 8:34-35) He didn’t identify any group when he started chapter 8 because he’s talking to you the reader of the record. None other. This is unambiguous. He calls you “YOU.” He may have seen YOU in this vision. Wake up!

Here is the key to identifying his audience more specifically. Moroni is talking to the people who simultaneously have his record, The Book of Mormon, among them (Mormon 8:26,34) and then pollute the holy church of God. (Mormon 8:38) Other hard to dispute facts are that those people live in a day of pollutions (Mormon 8:31) and great pride when the power of God is generally denied. (Mormon 8:28,36) They do not believe in the great miracles and have not seen them. (Mormon 8:26) This combination of attributes points directly at us, the modern church of Jesus Christ; the holy church; not some other denomination then or now. This absolutely describes us. That’s actually comforting because it is proof we are in the right church. How do we know? It’s the one Moroni described.

So how have we transfigured the holy word of God? (Mormon 8:33) Read 2 Nephi 31-32

learning

Re: The Polluted Holy Church - Mormon Chapter 8

Post by learning » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:37 pm

So there isn't any doubt whatsoever about whether or not the church is polluted. The church is still good and correct, it just has been polluted with feces (democrats, LGBT, feminists, and those who deny that God cursed the blacks).