Elder Bednar on Revelation

learning

Elder Bednar on Revelation

Post by learning » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:48 am

Elder Bednar said:
“God uses a variety of patterns to convey His revelations to His sons and daughters, such as thoughts to the mind and feelings to the heart, dreams, visions, conversations with heavenly messengers, and inspiration. Some revelations are received immediately and intensely; some are recognized gradually and subtly.”

“We do not have to recognize in the moment we are receiving revelation that we are receiving revelation, Simply be good. Remember and honor your ordinances and covenants. Just go and do your best, and you will be guided, blessed, and become an instrument in the hands of the Lord to accomplish His purposes.”

Nephi went to Jerusalem to obtain the plates of brass and “was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which [he] should do” (1 Nephi 4:6), Nephi did not recognize in the moment he was receiving revelation that he was receiving revelation. Perhaps this experience is highlighted so early in the Book of Mormon precisely because it is an example of such an important pattern of revelation."

“Repetition can invite revelation if we have eyes to see and ears to hear.”

"Typically, revelation comes as a conclusion and not an explanation, We should not be surprised, for example, if impressions or promptings simply guide us to stop, to go, to open our mouths, to remain silent, to slow down, to press forward more rapidly, or to consider an option or course of action that may seem unusual.”

Revelation focuses upon the “what” more than the “why.”

The lesson: “The Lord often requires that we initially go and do without knowing why.”

Latter-day Saints cannot and should not wait for an explanation before acting because we have the sure promise of the Lord: ‘Blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more’ (2 Nephi 28:30).”